Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Week 6, days 2 and 3: OW! continues

Monday night had poor sleep. Woke up in the middle of the night, popped 400mg ibu, iced the knee for 20 mins, did some patellar mobilization, then managed to fall asleep in an hour.

Last night had slightly better sleep, but basically the same pattern. I was able to fall back asleep sooner.

Tuesday I did stretches before bed. When doing the calf stretch on the right leg, it feels like I aggravate that hamstring graft spot a little bit. I still did two calf stretches, and tried to make them gentle.

I also noticed that Tuesday morning, I wasn't able to immediately get my full extension while walking. Also, the leg tended to want to give out, so I limped into the shower. Concerned with losing that full extension, I did a no-weight prone hang for 3 minutes. I also tried to extend the knee a bunch throughout the day. This seemed to do the trick, as this morning, I had full extension right away.

Tuesday and Monday I felt a little bit of soreness in my right glutes. This is probably due to an abnormal gait from the pain. I must be compensating for something. Same thing today, just not as strong. I am concentrating on having as normal gait as possible.

When I woke up this morning, I still had that painful spot right around the hamstring graft incision site. The knee itself felt fine. So today, most all the pain is top of that leg. I am popping 400mg every 4 hours pretty much on the clock. I think the knee felt better this morning than Tuesday morning, but this afternoon, it feels worse.

I wonder if I made it worse because I lifted some 35lb snow tires (one at a time) yesterday. I tried to do all the lifting (deadlift pose) with my left leg, but I may have inadvertently used my right foot. Maybe this aggravated the leg? Who knows...

The pain is pretty annoying at work this afternoon. It's about 4/10 or 5/10. I am sitting at my desk with the calf portion of the brace unbuttoned, to provide a bit of pressure relief.

Did I mention I hate this brace? I am inclined to burn it in a ritualistic fashion when it comes off.

The PT appointment this evening was good. The bike did not feel as painful as Monday and I was able to handle 4lb ankle weight plus the shoe. The flexion was measured as 135 degrees, but I have been doing very gentle heel slides, so it wasn't as much as I was able to coax before. Did step-ups and skipped the leg press. Step-ups aggravated the pain site just a touch on the comedown, but not too bad.

The PT wrote up a note for the appointment with my ortho tomorrow. Can't wait for that. When I get home, I need to come up with a list of questions for the doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment