Thursday, October 1, 2009

Week 3, day 4

Still using one crutch, even though I can probably manage without. Trying to pay more attention to turning today and trying not to twist at all on my right foot. I think I didn't pay as much attention to that since Monday, but I hope I didn't mess anything up (I didn't think I twisted far at all, but I was twisting more than I am now).

Tomorrow at the PT, we are going to re-evaluate my walking and see if I can be cleared to walk crutchless. Yesterday, the PT was suggesting using one crutch as a publicly-visible "I'm injured" marker. That makes a lot of sense. I think that when I am walking without a crutch, I may still grab one crutch if I'm going somewhere with a bunch of people.

Afternoon:

Did ROM exercises at work before lunch.

Evening:

Hopped on the stationary bike at work for 10 mins before leaving.

Did ROM exercises, straight leg raises and stretches. Prone hangs for 5 minutes with 5lb ankle weight. (unpleasant!)

4 comments:

  1. Hi there mate.
    Just stumbled on your blog and want to wish you good luck with your recovery.
    I had the exact same operation exactly 2 weeks ago after tearing my acl and mcl.
    I've been following some of your tips. Atm i am about 2 degrees off full flexion and walking without crutches.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, thanks for your comment. 2 degrees off full flexion only after 2 weeks? Nice! Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic progress - you did everything right. By the way, have you gotten a knee brace yet? My PT recommended I consider wearing that externally after losing crutches for the whole "public awareness" thing. Personally, I found it uncomfortable - but it's another option.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have been wearing the uncomfortable knee brace. It sucks! My surgeon also mentioned that one of its functions is public awareness.

    ReplyDelete