Saturday, September 26, 2009

Week 2, day 6: Evening

Slept much better without the brace! Hurray comfort.

Got outside again today, got driven around in my Miata by my friend. Incidentally, he also did the car justice and we experienced some nice G's. My crutches didn't fly out, so that's cool too!

Occasional ache comes and goes in the knee. About to risk it by going to a friend-of-a-friend's party in Somerville. I bet money the apartment will be on the stairs of the 3rd floor of a narrow, steep staircase with no railings. Still, I'm just going to try to be really careful.

Exercises:

Did two 2x of knee extension (sit down, straighten out leg, push knee/thigh down). 10 seconds each. This exercise works much better on the flat floor than the couch (too much room for error). I got the bottom of my knee to start feeling the carpet, so I definitely made a degree or two improvement tonight.

Oh by the way, DAMN it's painful to do! I tried to push it down to a pain threshold, the kind where I swear out loud. I almost got a tear in my eye going by the 9th rep. But hey, I got a few degrees out of looks like, hope it stays that way.

I also attempted another set of quad sets, but I think I may be doing them wrong. Am I supposed to put a towel under the knee to have something to push against? I think so, I'll look it up later.

Bad news: maybe due to the extra extension, I now have noticeable quad lag! OMG weak! Looking at it, it's gotta be about 5-7 degrees. I think it's because I have added several degrees extension, and probably because my quads keep getting weaker anyway.

It's really weird to have quad lag that's so noticeable! I sit there and it's like I can't do anything about that. I tighten the quads, but it's not enough.

Physical therapy cat says:
quad lag  iz weak sause

Hoping I can get another set of knee straightening and quad setting in before bed.

Also, my right leg is noticeably thinner than the left leg. It looks weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment