Friday, September 18, 2009

Week 1, day 5: Evening

Pain management: feeling pretty good. No narcotics all day today, only took a Percocet just now before bed (just in case something starts throbbing in the middle of the night). Took a Motrin in the morning and the evening and that took off a little ache in the knee.

Been icing with Game Ready pretty much all day (about 10 hrs each day since the surgery). Been following the medium pressure 30 min ice, 30 min off cycle. Definitely notice a decrease in swelling after the first icing session of the day.

5-10 minutes after icing, I can feel the swollen areas get warm to touch. By 30 minutes, they feel pretty hot. That's kinda weird, but that also explains why cryotherapy helps. Yesterday my hot areas (towards the center of the body, left of the patella) seemed to get hot quicker after icing than today. Hopefully, this means that the swelling is going down.

Spent about 8-9 hours in the CPM today (lost count). It took a touch more effort/pain to hit 110 deg on the CPM today (and I'm not sure if it actually went all the way there... but it was 100+), maybe because I haven't been setting it to 110 for a few days now and also because the Percocet wore off.

Did three sets of static quads (12 reps each, holding about 10 seconds) throughout the day. Also followed up with a bit of a straight leg raise, while locking the knee out. So it's kinda like a static quad, but with a bit of a raise of the heel. It does take some effort to lock the knee, but it happens, and I think I should be good for proper straight leg raises now. It seems that by now I have very little to no "quad lag".

Feel a little lazy just icing and CPMing and quad settings all day long. Could I be doing more? Should I be doing more? If nothing else, I am at least definitely following the Dr's orders. The follow-up visit is in a week, Sep 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment