Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Week 2, day 3

Another quiet day in the CPM machine.

The knee seems to be less swollen and there's less bruising. The inflamed hot spot to the left of the kneecap is not hot anymore, just barely warmer. Feeling some random aches inside though. Popping a 200mg ibuprofen every 4-6 hours.

Icing nowhere near as frequently now, just like about 2-3 times in the morning, maybe another 1-2 times after. Forgot to do my quad sets earlier today, will do those soon.

My right thing really is looking considerably skinnier. It's really weird. I haven't seen it so skinny since before college.

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to tell you how much I like your blog - it's very detailed and also very positive! It's been a great resource for me. I just had ACL reconstruction with hamstring graft on 4/13/11 and am about at this point in my recovery. My left leg is shrinking rapidly and it's creeping me out - it's good to know it will come back! Hope your recovery has continued to go well - take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. Am reading your blog every day. Had ACL 11 days ago and wondering if I will ever walk again never mind anything else as I'm a fitness fanatic. Does it get better???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks folks for all the comments! I will post an update sometime soon, it's been extremely long overdue.

    It totally gets better! I ran a half-marathon on the recovered knee last year and I will do another one this October. I've been running 3-5hrs a week all year, many 5+ hr weeks.

    The key is to maintain strength training. The few times that I abandoned strength training (coupled with a reduced running load, which reduced the strength demands on my quads), I ended up having my knee hurt during runs. This was due to patellofemoral misalignment: my right quad got weaker (primarily a degradation in neuromuscular response).

    You'll be just fine, just keep up the PT initially, the strength afterwards, and avoid the knee extensions machine.

    ReplyDelete