Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Week 2, day 2: Morning

Slept better yet. Seemed to have found a better position for the brace. When I am up and crutching around, however, the foam still rubs on top of the incision. Unpleasant!

Can't wait to get off the crutches! I really hope that with the Friday's visit to the orthopedic surgeon, I'll be cleared to wean off them. I do feel car-ready (even now), as I have full ankle control and I have enough flex, it seems, to punch the brake pedal and blip the throttle on downshifts. I noticed that the car-unreadiness that I felt before was after a 30 min icing session, where some of my calf was ice cold and not quite ready for flexing.

No painkillers last night either, only took two Motrins before bed. Pain level was low, so hurray. Still got pretty brutal looking bruising on the knee. As long as that's normal, I don't care, it's just not pretty to look at.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog has been a great help to me. I am having surgery next wednesday and have been fine until yesterday and now feel a little panicky. I was mostly freaked about all the internet info about how f'ing painful post op is but you make it sound tolerable and manageable.

    drhaasedvm@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I'm glad you found the blog helpful! It's really not that painful, especially if you keep ahead of the pain with the painkillers, just like the doctor and the nurses suggest. Don't worry about addiction, because you can wean yourself off easy enough by decreasing the dose gradually. (And one or two weeks of pain meds is not that bad either).

    ReplyDelete
  3. having surgery tomorrow and came upon your blog -- thank you for documenting everything!!!

    ReplyDelete