Saturday, September 12, 2009

Surgery selection

My surgery is on Monday September 14th.

I opted for the hamstring autograft. My orthopedic surgeon did not have a strong preference in the type of the graft, but did note that the hamstring graft (vs an allograft) tends to be stronger. Another doctor (I went to a 2nd surgeon for a 2nd opinion) mentioned that hamstrings tend to have a slightly higher success rate in young people. (I am almost 27).

Another factor was that the hamstring will retain 95% of its strength. This is difficult to distinguish, I'm sure, and I should be able to train the hamstring to have essentially equal strength (I doubt I will ever reach full strength capacity in either of my hamstrings anyway).

I will be going under general anesthesia, which I've done once earlier this year for wisdom tooth removal. I'm not sure whether they are going to give me Vicodin or Percocet for painkillers, but I need to remember to buy some over-the-counter laxatives just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment