Saturday, September 12, 2009

The diagnosis

Oh so anxious! What is going on? What did I tear? Torn meniscus? MCL? ACL?

I scheduled an appointment with my orthopedist in Brookline for Tuesday, 7:30am, 3 days after the injury. The ortho felt up the knee and said that I probably tore something, ordering an MRI. I ended up scheduling the MRI for Thursday morning (not as early as I wanted). I was hoping it'd be early enough to get the results by Friday afternoon. Unfortunately, the doctor was out Friday and I only got the word of the results Monday morning.

My mind messed with me in the MRI machine, making it difficult to lie still. At first, it is easy enough. 10-15 minutes into it, I was getting little muscle twitches and realizing that I just tightened some muscles. Still, a cool experience. The MRI machine made lots of weird noises, which, no doubt, would make a cool song.

Monday morning I got an e-mail note from the doctor stating that it's an ACL tear. I scheduled an appointment, earliest available was Thursday, to discuss the results. My anxiety has now come down and I could now begin to prepare mentally.

At the Thursday appointment, the doctor went over the MRI results and discussed the surgical option and its recovery timeframes.

No comments:

Post a Comment