Monday, December 14, 2009

Week 14: Day 1

Two days ago, Friday, I visited the PT with the new script from the surgeon. The PT offered their own version of the "return to jog" program, which consists of going for 5 min walk, 5 min run half-hour sessions. Then progressively turning down the walking by 1 min and adding 1 min to running until there is no more walking for half an hour. This would put me at the same 9 miles a week milestone, so I decided to follow the PT's suggested protocol.

Sunday was a great day: did my first run. I followed the 5-min walk/run protocol and logged 1.5 miles, about half mile per a 5 minute run session. Total 2.3 miles distance. This was on a treadmill.

The first few strides felt weird! Also a few times my right knee buckled a little bit, but I held up just fine... those few times, it was a bit of an uncertainty after the strike: "can I hold it?" yes I can!

The 2nd and 3rd 5-min run sessions were more confident than the first one. I think the first one was "OMG am I really doing this?," followed by 5 minutes of thinking about it while walking and the rest were "yeah, we doin' this!"

So hells yeah. Tomorrow another 5-min walk and 5-min run! Then Thursday 4-min walk and 6-min run.

After the run, this evening I felt some soreness: inside thigh on the left leg, quads on the right leg, both calves and the right shin.

At today's PT, I stayed at 10 lbs ankle weights, but upped the leg press to 7.5 plates. The PT showed me a new exercise, where I do hamstring curls off a physioball, while raised in a bridge position. I also did 4-lb ankleweights on standing hamstring curls.

No comments:

Post a Comment