Friday, December 11, 2009

Week 13, Day 4: Orthopedic Surgeon Followup

Wednesday's PT was fine, stayed at the same weights for all exercises. The PT measured my strength and range of motion. I have full extension and 142 degrees of flexion. The hamstring strength is 4/5, not quite fully there.

Visited the Dr for a 3-month followup today! Told him about the tales of hamstring straining woes, to which he replied that incidents are bound to happen during such a long recovery period.

The ACL is intact and strong! The Dr tested the knee and did the pivot test. Everything checked out, so, hurray, my aftermarket ACL is still in business! Overall, he said my knee is looking great and I am right on schedule.

He said that the last bits of swelling will take some time to come down and he'd like to see that fluid gone. He said the incisions are as dark as they are going to get and are going to start fading in 3 months. He gave me a new script for exercises, saying that I need to start doing more weight training. I don't have the script handy, but it included lunges.

Also, I am now cleared for running! The objective is to start out slow. Start by walking for an hour. If that's OK, then an easy 1 mile, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3 miles, 3 times a week, every other day. So that puts me back to at least 9 miles a week, which is quite a good baseline to get back to! Next week will be the walk-an-hour week. Not sure I'm going to work running an easy 1 mile every other day into the Christmas week, but I'll try my best.

He also said that slight discomfort in the knee is OK, major pain is not. He said the knee won't feel "normal" until about a year out (and that's OK).

I asked him about my step down exercises being somewhat jerky and not having that smooth muscle control. He replied that I'll work through all of this with the physical therapy training.

No comments:

Post a Comment